This is (Not) L.A. Book Launch Event
Knock Knock and the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles invite you to celebrate the publication of This Is (Not) L.A. with exhibition, food, drink, and conversation between author Jen Bilik and some very special guests!
WHEN: Thursday, September 20, 6 PM to 9 PM (program starts at 7 PM)
WHERE: Natural History Museum (900 W Exposition Blvd.)
WHAT: Opportunity to explore the NHM’s newly remounted Becoming Los Angeles exhibit, wine and dine, and enjoy the evening’s program
- Dr. Lori Bettison-Varga, president and director of the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles
- Jonathan Gold’s foreword read by Evan Kleiman, host of KCRW’s Good Food and “fairy godmother of the L.A. food scene”
- Jen Bilik leads conversation about what most surprises us about L.A., what we’ve found to be most misunderstood, and whether L.A.’s current popularity is because the city has changed or just its reputation
- Patty Rodriguez: Radio producer (On Air with Ryan Seacrest), publisher (Lil’ Libros), author, and first-generation Mexican American
- Lynell George: Journalist and essayist (After/Image: Los Angeles Outside the Frame, KCET)
- Alissa Walker: Urbanism editor at Curbed, journalist, and public transportation activist
- Ed Leibowitz: Veteran magazine writer (LA Magazine, The Atlantic, Smithsonian) and PEN USA journalism award recipient
ABOUT THE BOOK:
This Is (Not) L.A. tackles the plentiful misconceptions that surround the City of Angels, countering with expert facts on L.A. and its rich history. Through humor, meticulous research, and a bounty of civic pride, Jen Bilik—Knock Knock’s founder and the CEO of the Who’s There Group—and coauthor Kate Sullivan celebrate the second-largest city in America and the many people, places, sights, sounds, and tastes that make it great. It’s a book whose time has—finally—come!