Social Media Blackout Day
Join us in logging out and living in real life again
Remember when we didn’t care what our high school friends were doing—until the reunion? Or that our friend of a friend of a friend is vacationing in Hawaii and enjoying another sunset needing #nofilter? Or when a front-page headline meant big news instead of a trending hashtag?
We now spend at least 1 hour and 7 minutes a day on our social networks—that’s 400 hours each year of our personal time, time that could be spent writing a book, learning to tap dance, or making eye contact. With anyone. On October 16, we’re stealing our time back! We’ve joined forces with Marc Hartzman, author of our Anti-Social Network Journal, for Knock Knock’s first-ever Social Media Blackout Day!
For 24 hours, we’re logging off social networks. There will be no “This is what I’m eating,” no Liking our friends’ new haircut selfies, no rebroadcasting that New Yorker article. Can YOU go a whole day without Liking, Tweeting, or Pinning? We challenge you!
HOW TO TAKE PART:
- Change your profile picture to this image (click to enlarge and save):
- Update your status to: “Today is #SocialMediaBlackoutDay and I’m unplugging for 24 hours. Join me!”
- If you think a friend needs a social break as well, tag them!
- Now here’s the real challenge—actually follow through. Stay off social media for 24 hours. We’ve dared you.
WHAT TO DO WHILE YOU’RE UNPLUGGED (TO COMBAT WITHDRAWAL):
- Grab any old piece of paper, or nab a copy of the Anti-Social Network Journal, and write in it IRL. With a pen. Or a pencil. This journal could be your offline haven on 10/16—and beyond.
- Print out these offline social media worksheets, fill them out, and pin them to a physical wall and/or share them with actual flesh-and-blood friends.
- Read inspirational ponderings by Marc on the Knock Knock blog, including his “17 Other Things You Could Be Doing Right Now” feature, talking about what you could be doing when you’re not on social media.
SEE ALL WHO HAVE PLEDGED:
Interested in doing a feature on #SocialMediaBlackoutDay? Contact us at [email protected] to chat more about the importance of unplugging and how you can win a Knock Knock prize package for your readers.